2013 Financial Highlights
Shadhika continued to grow in 2013. Together we awarded over $190,000 in grants and raised over $350,000.
- We are proud to report that our total revenue was over $350,000 – a 70% increase over the previous year.
- We awarded over $190,000 in grants to grassroots organizations in India working to address gender inequality through girls’ education, economic self-sufficiency, and empowerment.
- As part of our fundraising efforts, we successfully raised $150,000 to support our grantee, New Light’s, purchase a building to start ‘Khela Ghar’ – a safe house for young boys from the Red Light district in Kolkata who wish to escape the cycle of prostitution and violence against women.
- 100 percent of our support comes from individual donors. In 2013, we doubled our number of donors with 50% of our donations coming from first-time donors.
- We continue to secure funds for the future, as demonstrated by a stable net asset position of $136,000 going into 2014.
- We maintained a low administrative expense ratio of 10%.
- 90 cents of every dollar raised is spent directly on grant-making activities.
- Our President and Board served Shadhika in an all-volunteer capacity.
- In addition to the ‘Mela’ – our traditional fundraising event in Palo Alto, CA, we held events in Portland, OR, Seattle, WA, Berkeley, CA, San Francisco, CA, and Denver, CO.
Download our complete 2013 Annual Report